Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ahh! Why do these things need titles? I have no imagination!

So, yesterday and today have been pretty boring. I did a lot of exercise yesterday and worked on homework a lot. I did, pushups, sit ups, lunges, jumping jacks, and glass 32 oz. water bottle curls. Today, as I woke I felt the aftermath of my physical activity from the previous day! I only ate lunch yesterday, because lately I have been feeling lazy and I noticed a bit of my Freshman 15 coming on, so I had to shut it down. Thats the reason for the exercise and lack of food. At lunch, I ate some good food and found in my foraging for food to take to my dorm, a very large apple. They had the fruit bins filled with them, a new kind I hadn't seen here before. The apple was probably 4.5 inches in diameter.

Today, I woke up, got ready, and ate that apple. It was so big and filled me up, even after not having eaten since 2 the previous afternoon. Physics was pretty fun as usual and he did a demonstration and some examples on the board. There was this setup that we tried at the end of class that had to candles with glass protecting them from the wind. The idea was to spin them, as they were on opposite sides of a rotating stick kinda like this from the top view. O---.---O, except the pivoting point was centered. Anyway, the glass protectors were about 6 inches long and he only had a bic lighter. So he tried to light it, but his hands were too big and it eventually burned out. Then, he tried again, several times, because the flame was long and he thought he could get it. IT didn't work. Then, he looked in the back room to find the torch so he could light it that way, but it wasn't there. I said this previously, but he heard it when another girl said it. Just roll up a piece of paper , light it, and then light the candles with it... Brilliant right? Well anyway, he tried this, but the roll of paper wasn't that small, so it started on fire rather quickly. He first tried to stick the paper down in it, but the flames (2 or 3 inches) were coming back up towards his hands, so then he flipped it over and held the paper up into the glass container. To conclude this story, I'll say that it didn't ever light and we'll do it on Friday. The smoke alarms didn't go off, so we were safe, but it smelled quite smoky:) He is a really funny guy, and he is really smart! Here is his home page for American University.

http://nw08.american.edu/~pjohnson/

I hope the link works when I post this.

The rest of my day was pretty boring except for my run, which was long and tiring. I also tried out the "Tavern" for dinner today. It is like the fast food place that takes your meal plan. THere are 2 other places too, but I didn't know about them until I went looking for the Tavern. It has pizza and fries and chicken strips and stuff like that. I got a turkey sandwich that had chopped turkey, peppers, and onions all cooked and then some cheese on top. It was pretty good, but a little dry, so the next time I go over there I think I'll get some mayonnaise. The meal came with a drink and fries, but it said it only cost 4.75, so it isn't a good deal compared to the normal price of the food in the TDR. Ok, so I had never gone over there before and I didn't know what to do but you just order, then take your 2 receipts over to the cooks, hand them one of them, they make it, then you give them your other and they give you the food. There were about 10-15 people waiting about the time I was there, but it is good in general, because it is open much later than the normal dining room. I'll keep that in mind for later.

Thats all the news I have for everyone. Good Bye!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read your blog for a few days and it was fun to catch up. It makes me so proud of all the fun things you guys choose to do. I just watched an show on tv last night about this gang that shot up people on the subway. It made me nervous about all your going and coming. I think I should watch less detective type tv. Thanks for posting often. it's fun to read. I'll try to write again a slow mail sometime. Love you. CA

    ReplyDelete