Sunday, August 29, 2010

Only one word... CONVOCATION

So, to day, we woke up around 8 and got ready to go back across the river to Georgetown once more. Amy and I walked over to Georgetown first. We went to the bookstore to get some sheets, so she could sleep in her room. She seems to be getting along pretty well with Claire, her roommate. Then, we met her dad downstairs in the courtyard outside New South, and we started to walk to the Convocation service. All of the new students had to line up along some buildings, while the rest of the people, parents and such, had to get in a line to go to the stadium where it was to be held. There was also a tent that was outside that had a large projector in it that would show the events that went on inside the arena. The students would walk through the tent, and then into the arena. We heard, as we were standing in the .3 mile line that the arena and tents were already full, but we could watch it from the building that the bookstore was in. We walked up some stairs and then over to the correct building.

In the building, there were already lots of people sitting down, so Mark and I just stood by one edge. It was very cool in the building I was kinda glad that we weren't in the tent. The projector that we had had recently gotten a bulb replaced, so there was an error message on the screen at all times. It said, "Unless you change to a new i amp. POWER will be off 5 minutes later." This covered the top 4th of the page, and usually covered the speakers face. There was also a blinking message above that one. Oh, and to specify, the writing was backed by a solid red, so you couldn't see through it at all. The service itself was pretty good, but it took about 20 minutes for the students to enter, and then 8 more for all of the staff. There wasn't much space between people either. We saw Amy way in the distance, and it was only enough to be relatively sure that it was her. We watched the speeches and heard the choir and band play many pieces. Both the band and choir were made of some freshman.

I'm getting really tired now. I think I'll do a quick version, since nothing of great importance happened, except for one thing.

So, we ate lunch on the grass, and we got a shady spot, because it was really hot. Amy and I said bye to Mark, and he headed back to Rosslyn to get his things and go to the airport. I headed home, but waited at the bus stop just in case it would come today(it didn't yesterday). I sat next to this nice Spanish speaking lady, and we talked about college and where I was going and what I was studying. She said that sh knew someone that was into physics and he was a tutor. He made about 60 dollars an hour and was almost always busy. I'm not sure if it was for college, or possibly for a large High School or a group of them, but anyway, that made me happy, because I could probably do that.

As I got to my dorm, I was flooded with emails. There were two package notifications (only 1 package though). There were also some more things regarding homework, so that made me stressed out. I did all the required work, but still have some reading to do. It isn't due til tuesday, so I should be mostly good. I think I'm understanding Physics a little more now also, which is good, because the variables were freaking me out a while ago. So, I did homework for a while, ane then tried to pick up my packages. There was a really big line all the way down the hall, so I decided to come back later. So I did, but there was still a big line. I gave up and did some more reading, but then, I got really hungry so I decided that I should probably get it, because I knew that one of them was from my mom and had some food in it. I brought my laptop over there so I could read and wait at te same time. That wasn't a new concept at all, because most people were doing that, but I just gave in and went over there. There was a lot of good food in there and I was very happy to receive the box. Thank You family! I was wondering what the noodles and chicken were. Did you make them? The measurements would have been hard unless you made it. I am very thankful for the package, regardless. So, for the last hour and a half or so, I have been blogging, because a lot had happened and I wanted to let everyone know.

Goodnight All! I Miss Montana!

1 comment:

  1. Monday, August 30
    Travis called us tonight. He said I could write for his day. So, Monday was mostly a homework day. Travis spent a lot of time studying and worrying about too much homework. He had one class to go to. Amy came over in the afternoon. Travis had a study session in the evening and then called his family. We had a long, refreshing visit. His mom told him to go to bed earlier.
    Love, Dan, Brenda, Darcy & Erica

    ReplyDelete