Monday, November 15, 2010

Another time lapse

So nearly 10 days has passed since last I wrote... What to say??

Last week, I didn't go to Georgetown at all until Friday. Amy had been working on the set for a one acts festival with the Mask and Bauble Drama department, so she practiced a lot in the evenings all week. I did homework like crazy and then did some more homework. My main assignments were my Discussion paper for Global Majority and my Poverty Project for Sociology. I spent a lot of time looking up information for the Poverty project and finally put together an essay and cited a bunch of sources all day Thursday. I also did my lab write-up.

There was a very interesting class in Sociology on Thursday. The rainbow speakers board came in and talked to us. This gay kid told us his story and then we could ask questions and such. There was one thing that I found quite interesting and it was the continuum of different aspects of self. The first is sex and the far sides of the spectrum are male and female. In the middle is intersex which is like if their body parts weren't correctly developed at birth. The next aspect is gender identity which ranges from man to woman to the intermediate "gender fluid" whatever that is supposed to mean. This is how one views themselves. Gender expression is the next category which ranges from masculine to feminine to androgynous. This is how you express yourselves and how you are perceived by others. Then there is sexual orientation from being attracted to women to attracted to men, or both (pansexual/bisexual). There are so many terms. Anyway, I though it was interesting the differences between sex and gender.

Friday was a big day full of classes and after them, I went down to see Amy for the first time in the week! We studied a while and then went to the One Acts Festival. First, they did a play that was written by a Junior from Georgetown. It was really confusing, but Amy said she was starting to get it after the 6th or so time sitting behind the scenes and listening to it. The next part was pretty funny and good. I went to 3 nights of the second part (since it was free) and heard a variety of shows. They had dramatic readings which were pretty boring, but they also had some good music. They had "The Chimes" an acapella group, 1000000 Shetland ponies (a funny guy that was in the improv group with his manikin thing. He played his guitar to a narrative and sang some songs he wrote too, in the context of the story. He was one of my favorites. There was also a broadway type group that sang some funny songs and an improv group. There was also this lady that performed a dramatic monologue and another annoying lady that sang songs that didn't make sense. She had a decent voice and played the guitar. She seemed to like to just randomly throw the F-word into each of her songs at least once. She would be repeating a normal verse and would just put it in there for kicks... People around here swear so much! Its quite annoying and very rarely makes sense in the context. I don't like swearing in general and see it as quite futile, but I hate i even more when it is completely unwarranted.

Anyway, Amy and I bought some Chinese food one night after the show and ate it... We got 2 quarts, one of fried rice and another of broccoli beef. They were both really good, but it was so much food! It was a wonderful dinner overall:)

We went to church on Sunday and Bill Pennington spoke. He was from somewhere else, besides here. The songs this Sunday were pretty good though. After church, we finished making the arrangements to go to Lillian Wallace's house this Friday for dinner. They have a pingpong table and it should be pretty good:) After that, we went down to georgetown and ate the left over Chinese food. The white rice didn't last so well... IT was super dry! We then worked on homework again... For the millionth time + or - 999000.

Today, Amy walked up here after her Calculus class and we did something else new... Homework!:( Don't worry, I'm getting used to it:P So anyway, we ate food twice, so I have only about 50 meals left on my plan, so I really have to get going more quickly on them, since I won't even be here at all over Thanksgiving:) Hooray! I had a bit of a moment as I was walking Amy part way home. I had to go the bathroom really badly, and there aren't just bathrooms sitting at each corner, so I walked probably .3 miles feeling like I was going to explode. It was not fun! Amy and I tried to go to the gas station that we always pass on the corner of 37th and Wisconsin, but it was super small and "had no bathroom," though we could clearly see one, I guess it wasn't for the public. Then, we finally found a restaurant that I wouldn't feel too badly going into, so I stopped at Z-burger. I then felt a little badly for using their bathroom, so I bought the cheapest thing on their menu, even though I was pretty full from having just eaten. I wanted to be productive though, so I sat in there and read my Physics Textbook. Amy had to get back to georgetown a little earlier today than usual, because she had her first play practice for The Christmas Carol.

Ok, its getting really late, and I haven't been getting quite enough sleep lately, so I think I'm going to go to bed. Good Bye all!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing Travis!

    I agree with your comments about swearing, we must be related!

    Cool that Amy is in Christmas Carol. Andrew was in that at Graceland and really enjoyed it. Wish we could see her perform, but this continent is too big.

    Tomorrow is Emily's birthday, so Andrew and I will cook some yummy food for her topped off with ice cream cupcakes-purchased. She's started solo teaching this week, her first day went well yesterday!

    We'll sure miss you in MT, and Byron too.
    Love,

    Tante

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like fun:) So is she a real teacher now, or somewhat of just a teacher in training... by herself? Does she like it?

    I wish I could be home too, but its just too much money to get all the way back over there in a timely manner... :S

    Travis

    ReplyDelete