Saturday, January 22, 2011

Week number 2

I'm sorry for the very long delay in writing this blog, but this week was a fairly busy one, although good. On Monday, Amy and I went to the Arlington National Cemetery and saw the thousands of graves and the Tomb of the unknowns. We watched them change guard which was quite interesting. We also saw General Robert E. Lee's house which is in the Cemetery. We then went to the mall to look around, because it is an awesome mall and I went there for that mall assignment for my sociology class. I just wanted to show her. Anyway, we walked and walked all day and were pretty tired by the end of the day. It started raining on my scooter ride home, and it eventually turned to snow/sleet.

Because of the previous day's weather, everyone received an email telling them that everything on campus was canceled until 11 in the Morning, because of the ice. When I went outside to my first class, now at 11:20, I noticed the large amount of ice. There was about a quarter of an inch on everything including the trees and bicycles... Anything that was exposed to the weather. The rest of my classes were alright that day, and then, for the first time I had band and choir. I went to band first and discovered that I was first chair!!! But, I don't think it made the best of relationships between me and the former first chair, especially since I couldn't sight read the music given to us very well. I have lots of rests... After that, I went to Choir, which was AWESOME! We are singing Shenandoah and some other songs, and everyone in there can sing very well, so it is really fun. There are even some community members there, which were part of the Tenor 2's like me. THe music is really fun for the most part, but it also goes really high! I can't sing a G, but it frequently goes up there. We'll see how that goes.

The rest of my week was normal also, until on Friday, I went down to Georgetown. They have something called Friday Food, where we make lunches and then go to Du Ponte Circle to hand them out. There were only 6 of us this time, and since it was really cold, we didn't make as many as the usually do, because fewer homeless people would likely be out. We went there, and it took us quite a while to find anyone. We found one that looked like he was possibly homeless, so we followed him for a ways. He was just walking, possibly to stay warm, but when I finally asked him if he wanted some food, he said, "No Food," and kept on walking. The main point of the program is to get out there and show them that someone cares. They can get food other places if they want, but we were mainly supposed to talk to them. Since he was on the move, it didn't really work. Amy found this one guy that was asking for money on the sidewalk, and gave him the food and tried to tlak, but it was just awkward and didn't last for that long. It was really cold, so we were trying to find people to give the food to, so I gave mine to a guy selling "Street Cents" newspaper, one made by the homeless for the homeless. I didn't think it would work for me to talk much, since he was working at his job of selling papers, but I did give him some food.

Anyway, we studied some more and then had some Macaroni and cheese with beef pieces in it, and then watched Grease. The food was good, and it was really nice to get back inside. Now, I'm going to go to Georgetown and we are going to do lots more homework! I'll try to write again sooner than this time.

Travis

1 comment:

  1. Hi Travis. Thanks for the mail. I'm so glad you are in band and choir. It's so much fun when the group is good. You'll have something to look forward to each week!
    This weekend Dad cleaned the carpets at the clinic. He usually works at that on Friday evening as well as Saturday. For lunch today we made the little pizzas that we bought from the cheerleaders. Yummy. Dan has to go back for a half hour or so to the clinic.
    This evening we will go to Boulder for the basketball game. It might be a close game. Darcy made a beautiful 3 pointer last night, and two other shots.
    Guess I'll work some more on the Beatitudes. This week everyone will take a "quiz", matching first halves to last halves.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete