Monday, April 11, 2011

Sue came to DC!

This week for the most part was a normal week, except during the week, I was buying more and more tickets for the Choir concert on Friday night, because more and more people kept wanting to come. The week consisted mostly of studying and the like, but on Friday, I went down to georgetown to meet Amy, and then we went to meet her mom at the Airport. The entire scooter ride down there, it was raining pretty hard, so I was completely drenched by the time I got there. I had noticed the large amounts of rain already, so I decided that it would be a good idea to bring some extra clothes to get out of the soon to be soaked ones. I brought some extra pants and changed when I got there.

We took a GUTS bus over to the Rosslyn metro station and from there I bought a little McDonalds food, since I hadn't eaten much before that. After that though, we got on the Metro and rode the 5 stops to the airport. We got a doughnut from Dunkin' Donuts and it was delicious! Her mom came, and they were sooo happy to see each other! It was nice to see Sue for me too. We then made our way back on the metro to her hotel near the Key Bridge, where we met Moira, Amy's cousin. (The one whose parents live in Charlottesville) We then all rode the metro back up to Tenleytown and they ate a a Thai restaurant, but I had to go get ready for my concert, so I scootered back and got my fancy suit on! This time, however, I had a bow tie, rather than a normal tie. I filled out the course evaluation and then waited for 45 minutes until our concert. It was a fun concert, and I think most people enjoyed it! Everyone said good job, but that isn't really a good measure, because they could just tell me that and the concert may have been bad, but I think the concert itself was good also! After that, they walked me back to my room, and I showed them my dorm room, but Wynn was sleeping (imagine that) and everyone had to be quiet. They gave me the leftover Thai food, which I gladly ate, and then they left.

On Saturday, I woke up early and finished some of my Physics readings and then met my business group to work on the project. This time though, Lenny was willing to work on everything earlier, so we met at 9:30 and then were done by 12:30. I rode my scooter down to M street to meet Amy and Sue, because they were walking around there. We then did a little shopping/looking around, and went to Urban Outfitters (the same store where I got my french fry wallet). I got a nice light weight sweater that was on sale, and almost got an extra small on accident, but it was a little too small. We then walked east on M even further until we got to a Metro stop and came to American. We got some drinks from the coffee shop here and sat in the School of International Service (SIS) building and read/talked for a while while waiting for dinner. TDR opens at 5 on the weekends rather than being open the whole time, so we were ready to eat by the time it was finally open. I swiped everyone in, and we had a nice dinner, with some ice cream to polish it off! After dinner, they left to go watch the play that Amy had tried out for earlier in the spring, while I went to my last concert of the year. I messed up several times this concert though:( I pronounced New Orleans like that instead of pronouncing it New Orlins, so I stuck out a little bit. I was trying to be a hot shot and not look at my music, which works for the notes and words, but the little notes in the scores are useless if I don't look at them. I worked on some more homework then and went to bed.

On Sunday, I woke up at 8 instead of 7, and got ready to go down to meet Amy and her mom. I thought that I would leave American at 9 to get there at 10 when I planned, but I left at nine and ended up getting there at 9:30, which was a little too early, so texted Amy and waited for her and Sue to get ready. We then hung out in their room a while and then made our way to Dupont Circle to search for some breakfast. It was a little late though, so we were only able to find a place for lunch, which was good! We ate a Cosi, an interesting place where you order everything in different areas. I had a barbecue chicken pizza that was quite interesting, but delicious! We then made our way over to the Spy Museum. We signed up for this thing called Operation Spy, and it was really fun:) It was a simulated mission, where we had to attempt to get a nuclear detonator so we could save the country or something. Anyway, there were several parts, involving, searching, breaking into safes, decoding messages, using "security cameras" from a building, and riding in the back of a van. They had van noises, and then the thing moved like those simulators, so it felt like you were moving. THen we were compromised and had to run to the roof to be rescued by the helicopters. THe things that you did actually played on how the thing would end up. We got an overall score of 4/5, because we found the detonator, but just couldn't quite get it in time. After that, we toured through the actual museum part, which was also cool. We saw lots of hidden weapons, learned about the carrier pigeons, the progressively smaller size of listening bugs, and the arts of ninja. It was an interesting museum, but like most museums, we were getting tired and ready to leave by the time we had made it mostly through the exhibits. After that, we made our way over to the National Gallery of art to see a painting that they have in their house, except the original. It is one of a little girl holding a watering pail near some flowers. It is really cute, and it was neat to see one that I recognized. We then sat in there for about as long as we walked, because we were getting tired. After walking all around the gallery, we made our way to the metro and eventually found the one we needed to get back to the Hotel. The Subway has never felt so good, except for possibly after the "Rally to restore sanity," but it was definitely up there. We got out at the Rosslyn stop and walked a little more over to the hotel and then just sat in their room/read/relaxed, until dinner. We then walked across the Key bridge and then down along the river to this seafood place right by the river. We could look right over the Potomac for the sunset, and it was beautiful! We had some hot crab spread stuff for bread, and then I got some jumbo shrimp, Amy got stuffed shrimp, and Sue got a lobster. I tried some of each thing and everything was excellent! The stuffed shrimp had spinach and some creamy thing, possibly cream cheese, and also pieces of crab in it. We also had a show, because there was a family that had some youngish children that were playing on the boardwalk next to the dining place. The boy had on roller blades and also tried to use them on a scooter. It worked, but we were fearful for his safety, because that just seemed like too many wheels! He also tried sitting on it, and using the roller blades, so it was just an overall entertaining experience. After the wonderful dinner, we walked back to their hotel, and just chilled their for a while and watched America's best dance crew, then Amy had to go back to do some homework, so we had to say goodbye:( Then, Amy and I walked over to Georgetown and we sat outside and talked a little before I scootered home. It was cloudy all day, but a nice temperature, about 68 probably.

Today, I did a lot of homework, attempting to get ahead so I can have more free time when my family is here, and then went down to visit Amy a little in the evening, because I needed a break and some exercise. I rode down there in 15 minutes and we sat and talked for a while and then I rode home, and it took me 25 minutes, for a total of only being gone 1:25. and I got to see Amy:) Now I finished this up and am going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment